Denton County Genealogical Society Programs, plus other local and Texas State genealogy events
2021-2022 Programs and Events:
The Denton County Genealogical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, November 11, 2021. Our social time will start at 6:30 p.m. at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, and the meeting and program will begin at 7 p.m. Masks should be worn, and social distancing maintained.
Visitors are welcome. If you would like to attend the meeting virtually, please register at:
https://denton.bibliocommons.com/events/search/index/event/61746f7248880941002b1a53 to receive an invitation to the Zoom meeting.
The program will be “How to Organize All this Genealogy Stuff” presented by Lisa Louise Cooke. As the title of this program suggests, you will learn techniques to save yourself future frustration and disappointment by putting a solid genealogy organizational plan in place for all the types of items that will be coming your way. Ms. Cooke personally uses the systems that she is sharing, and they have proven to be reliable and efficient. We will cover systems for 4 types of stuff: Organizing All This Paper! The Physical Items Organization System, Organizing All That Genealogical Data! The Family Tree Data Organization System, Organizing All These Digital Files! The Digital Organization System and Organizing All that Web Information! The Online Notetaking System.
Lisa Louise Cooke is the author of several books including The Genealogist’s Google Toolbox, 3rd edition. She produces and hosts the popular Genealogy Gems Podcast www.GenealogyGems.com, and the free weekly YouTube show Elevenses with Lisa at the Genealogy Gems YouTube channel. She offers a Premium Membership service at her website featuring exclusive on-demand genealogy education. And she writes a regular column for Family Tree Magazine and produces the Family Tree Magazine Podcast.
- 9 September 2021 : Patti Huff Smith : Between the Lines: What Your Ancestor’s Didn’t Tell You (Hybrid Meeting)
- [TxSGS] The Texas State Genealogy Society 2021 Family History Virtual Conference is Live 1-2 October 2021 (Replay from 6 October to 31 December 2021)
- 14 October 2021 : Tony Hanson : Technology Enabled Collaboration for Genealogy
- [DPL] State-Wide Genealogy Library Lock-In (15 October 2021, 9 am to 10 pm)
- 11 November 2021 : Lisa Louise Cooke : How to Organize All this Genealogy Stuff!
- 9 December 2021 : No Meeting
- 13 January 2022 : Laura Douglas : From Here to There: Maps and Genealogy Research
- 10 February 2022 : Doug Boyd, Senior Archeologist, Cox-McClain Environmental Consulting, Inc. : Archaeology at the Tom Cook Blacksmith Shop (c. 1870s-1890s), Bolivar, TX.” Part 2 follow-up to January 2021 Part 1 presentation, update on archaeological research and includes artifact identification
- [RootsTech] The RootsTech Connect 2022 Family History Virtual Conference is 3-5 March 2022
- 10 March 2022 : TBA
- 14 April 2022 : TBA
- 12 May 2022 : Business Meeting and Members Round table
NOTE: GenPen, the writing group affiliated with DCGS, assumed inactive status for the 2021-2022 program year (effective August 31 2021).
To Contact us:
Denton County Genealogical Society
% Denton Public Library
Denton, TX 76201
There is a Facebook page for the society, maintained by the Special Collections Librarian. It includes additional information about library programs and other genealogical societies.