Denton County Genealogical Society Programs, plus other local and Texas State genealogy events
2021-2022 Programs and Events:
The Denton County Genealogical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, October 14, 2021. Our social time will start at 6:30 p.m. at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, and the meeting and program will begin at 7 p.m. Masks should be worn, and social distancing maintained. Visitors are welcome. If you would like to attend the meeting virtually, please register at:
https://denton.bibliocommons.com/events/search/index/event/6153979dc091ca4200591153 to receive an invitation to the Zoom meeting.
The program for the night is “Technology Enabled Collaboration for Genealogists” presented by Tony Hanson. This presentation will examine relatively new capabilities that are enabling collaborative family research: Greatly improved presentation of DNA results from Ancestry DNA and MyHeritage DNA, and the Family Search Family Tree. Attendees will learn the benefits provided by each and will learn how to effectively incorporate them into their own personal research methodology.
Tony earned degrees in Electrical Engineering and Telecommunications and is now retired after a 32-year career with AT&T working in the areas of Information Technology, Network Support and Cellular Provisioning. He is an avid genealogist, researching his father’s Norwegian and his mother’s German emigrants. He has held many offices in the Dallas Genealogical Society and currently serves as the Director of Membership for the Texas State Genealogical Society.
The Statewide Genealogy Lock-In is Friday, Oct. 15. Please register at https://library.cityofdenton.com/screens/sc_lockin.html
- 9 September 2021 : Patti Huff Smith : Between the Lines: What Your Ancestor’s Didn’t Tell You (Hybrid Meeting)
- [TxSGS] The Texas State Genealogy Society 2021 Family History Virtual Conference is Live 1-2 October 2021 (Replay from 6 October to 31 December 2021)
- 14 October 2021 : Tony Hanson : Technology Enabled Collaboration for Genealogy
- [DPL] State-Wide Genealogy Library Lock-In (15 October 2021, 9 am to 10 pm)
- 11 November 2021 : Lisa Louise Cooke : How to Organize All this Genealogy Stuff!
- 9 December 2021 : No Meeting
- 13 January 2022 : Laura Douglas : From Here to There: Maps and Genealogy Research
- 10 February 2022 : Doug Boyd, Senior Archeologist, Cox-McClain Environmental Consulting, Inc. : Archaeology at the Tom Cook Blacksmith Shop (c. 1870s-1890s), Bolivar, TX.” Part 2 follow-up to January 2021 Part 1 presentation, update on archaeological research and includes artifact identification
- [RootsTech] The RootsTech Connect 2022 Family History Virtual Conference is 3-5 March 2022
- 10 March 2022 : TBA
- 14 April 2022 : TBA
- 12 May 2022 : Business Meeting and Members Round table
NOTE: GenPen, the writing group affiliated with DCGS, assumed inactive status for the 2021-2022 program year (effective August 31 2021).
To Contact us:
Denton County Genealogical Society
% Denton Public Library
Denton, TX 76201
There is a Facebook page for the society, maintained by the Special Collections Librarian. It includes additional information about library programs and other genealogical societies.