Denton County Genealogical Society Programs, plus other local and Texas State genealogy events
2022-2023 Programs and Events:
The Denton County Genealogical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, October 13, 2022. Refreshments and networking will start at 6:30 p.m. at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, and the meeting and program will begin at 7 p.m. Visitors are welcome.
This month’s speaker is Emily Richardson, and her presentation is “Expanding Horizons: Local to International Genealogy Learning.”
Most individuals for whom genealogy is a hobby, utilize their local genealogy society as place to go for education. However, even before the Zoom phenomenon, there were opportunities for learning from regional, state, national and international genealogical societies. This presentation will (re)introduce the participant to the multitude of learning experiences that are each uniquely designed and available to both the hobbyist and the professional genealogist.
We will start with local resources that include books and journals at the local library, visiting the Denton Courthouse to experience researching at a courthouse, podcasts, webinars and other learning you can do from home. We will then move to regional societies in the DFW area, statewide genealogical resources and talk about the benefits of being a member with the Texas State Genealogical Society (TXSGS).
But we won’t stop there, we will consider resources from other states, national organizations like the National Genealogical Society and RootsTech. We will finish the evening looking at international education options as well as genealogical academies. There will be a 5-page handout chocked full of resources. So come, listen, and think about your next educational experience in genealogy.
- 8 September 2022 : DCGS Members : The Ancestor Project (Hybrid Meeting)
- 13 October 2022 : Emily Coffman Richardson : Expanding Horizons: Local to International Genealogy Learning (Hybrid Meeting)
- [DPL] State-Wide Genealogy Library Lock-In (21 October 2022, 9 am to 6 pm)
- [TxSGS] The Texas State Genealogy Society 2022 Family History Virtual Conference “Unlock Your Past” is going Live 4-5 November 2022 (Replay from 9 November 2022, to 6 February 2023)
- 10 November 2022 : Robin Cole-Jett : The Butterfield Overland Stage and Mail (Hybrid Meeting)
- 8 December 2022 : No Meeting
- 12 January 2023 : Cari Taplin, CG : Unfamiliar Territory, Researching in a New Geographic Area (Hybrid Meeting)
- 9 February 2023 : Ari Wilkins : Mysterious Relatives (Hybrid Meeting)
- [RootsTech] The RootsTech 2023 Family History Conference – Virtual and Salt Lake City (in person) is scheduled for 2-4 March 2023
- 9 March 2023 : Brian Rhinehart : I Have a Civil War Ancestor… Now What? (Hybrid Meeting)
- 13 April 2023 : Speaker TBA : TBA (Hybrid Meeting)
- 11 May 2023 : Serendipity, Unexpected Results, and Eureka Moments: Discussion of Genealogy Experiences; preceded by the Annual Business Meeting.
To Contact us:
Denton County Genealogical Society
% Denton Public Library
Denton, TX 76201
There is a Facebook page for the society, maintained by the Special Collections Librarian. It includes additional information about library programs and other genealogical societies.