Denton County Genealogical Society Programs, plus other local and Texas State genealogy events
2022-2023 Programs and Events:
The Denton County Genealogical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, November 10, 2022. Refreshments and networking will start at 6:30 p.m. at the Emily Fowler Central Library, 502 Oakland Street, and the meeting and program will begin at 7 p.m. Visitors are welcome.
This month’s speaker is Robin Cole-Jett, and her presentation is about the Butterfield Overland Stage and Mail service.
The first transcontinental route from the Mississippi River to California was not by rail but rather, via a rutted, dirt road. Along this path ran the Butterfield Overland Mail and Stagecoach, which opened in 1858 and connected the East Coast to the West Coast by traversing the Indian Territory (today’s Oklahoma) and Texas. In this presentation, Red River Historian, Robin Cole-Jett, relates the history of this short-lived transportation innovation through maps and photographs.
For over twenty years, Robin Cole-Jett has been exploring, documenting, and sharing the history of the Red River Valley, “where the South meets the West”, through her website, books, videos, articles, tours, presentations, and TV appearances. A graduate of ETSU, UNT, and TWU, she teaches at Tarrant County College and lives in Lewisville.
- 8 September 2022 : DCGS Members : The Ancestor Project (Hybrid Meeting)
- 13 October 2022 : Emily Coffman Richardson : Expanding Horizons: Local to International Genealogy Learning (Hybrid Meeting)
- [DPL] State-Wide Genealogy Library Lock-In (21 October 2022, 9 am to 6 pm)
- [TxSGS] The Texas State Genealogy Society 2022 Family History Virtual Conference “Unlock Your Past” is going Live 4-5 November 2022 (Replay from 9 November 2022, to 6 February 2023)
- 10 November 2022 : Robin Cole-Jett : The Butterfield Overland Stage and Mail (Hybrid Meeting)
- 8 December 2022 : No Meeting
- 12 January 2023 : Cari Taplin, CG : Unfamiliar Territory, Researching in a New Geographic Area (Hybrid Meeting)
- 9 February 2023 : Ari Wilkins : Mysterious Relatives (Hybrid Meeting)
- [RootsTech] The RootsTech 2023 Family History Conference – Virtual and Salt Lake City (in person) is scheduled for 2-4 March 2023
- 9 March 2023 : Brian Rhinehart : I Have a Civil War Ancestor… Now What? (Hybrid Meeting)
- 13 April 2023 : Speaker TBA : TBA (Hybrid Meeting)
- 11 May 2023 : Serendipity, Unexpected Results, and Eureka Moments: Discussion of Genealogy Experiences; preceded by the Annual Business Meeting.
To Contact us:
Denton County Genealogical Society
% Denton Public Library
Denton, TX 76201
There is a Facebook page for the society, maintained by the Special Collections Librarian. It includes additional information about library programs and other genealogical societies.